Tuesday, 21 December 2010

I'm not dreaming of a White Christmas...

Well, the UK has been hit by blizzards in many areas (not here though, at least not yet) and having heard of many people struggling with postal delays I decided the time had come to take my Christmas break. My shop Treacle Toffee is now lying dormant - I might revive it for one last clearout sale in January. The other two shops (JumpUp and Scatterbox Originals) are going to remain active with a 10% discount applied to the usual prices - this will be running until January 4th when I'll be able to post out orders again - my way of making up for delayed delivery for anyone eager to buy but patient to receive. :) Check out the links on the right!

I'm setting off tomorrow...all being well. Travelling at this time of year is always stressful, and now that the weather might effect the UK's already pretty unreliable railways...let's just say I'm practising my calm breathing technique...

So, I'm feeling like a bit of a Grinch. Because I'm really hoping it doesn't keep on snowing until Christmas. I've been looking at the Met Office website's map of the UK charting reports of snow and gulping at the size of the snowflake icons...the reports on that part of the site aren't moderated so it COULD be that the report of 100cm (that's 3 feet) of snow in the area I'm needing to pass through tomorrow are either someone's typo or a prank. Or meant to be in millimetres.

Of course, White Christmases are lovely. We had one up north last year and for the UK it was quite a treat as we do rarely get snow on Christmas (somewhere in my archive you can see my snowy photos from last year). But last year I was very lucky and got a plane up north, fortunately on the one day when there was enough of a lull in the snow for the airports to be operating. This year, I face a 7 hour journey by train. If it all runs on time. Eeek.

So...I'm hoping for a brief thaw please (I hope you're paying attention, Jack Frost) and then a little festive dusting of snow maybe...and then another little thaw for my return journey...

Other than that...the weather outside is frightful, and though my little fan heater is delightful, heck can it eat up my electricity allowance! Please don't let it snow, please don't let it snow, please don't let it snow...

No comments:

Post a Comment