Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Slowly springing up...

Woke up this morning, feelin' fine...

Had homemade luncheon on my mind...


Went to the window, to check on my seedlings and stood...

Wow, they've grown much faster than I thought they would...

Something tells me I'm into growing food

(Something tells me I'm into growing...)

Yeah, something tells me I'm into growing food!

Random bursting into song aside, I thought you kind folks would like to see my little set of seedlings. I sowed these 8 days ago, and some are doing very well, some are taking their time a little bit. The tall ones you see here are spring onions - scallions to my American friends - the two-leafed ones (in a nifty container I made by cutting an old plastic milk bottle in half lengthways) are lettuce, the smallest seedling you see is an aubergine seed (again, translation for American readers - eggplant)

I'm also going to try my hand at growing potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, mini carrots, coriander, chives and basil (some are sown already but nothing interesting to photograph yet, some I can't plant until I get more soil) Next week a kind friend is going to help me out with getting compost from the DIY shop (as I can't drive) and also some spawn for button mushrooms, which I am going to grow under my sink. Can't wait!

It's been a long time since I tried gardening, having so little space here I thought I wouldn't manage much...but it's amazing what you can actually grow in a small space. I'm hoping this will be a more eco friendly, healthy and economical way to feed myself.

The bowl of soup above is made with frozen veggies and a small chopped potato, boiled in stock and then made smooth with my hand-blender. I garnished my soup with seeded bread that had started to go stale - I spritzed it with some olive oil 'low calorie' spray, before toasting, and it came out delicious. I don't know if this is peculiar to the UK, but I call these strips of toasted bread for dunking 'soldiers'...an odd expression, but one I've grown up with!

Like my slower growing seedlings, I am very slowly making progress with my latest handmade things. The Great Ebay Clearout is gradually getting done, and I'm itching to spend more of my time creating. Tonight's job is to get some black and white images ready for use in my gocco printer, and then I think I'll do some hand-sewing for the new Etsy shop...

Things are coming together for 'JumpUp' aka Etsy Shop Number Three. I have found some great materials to recycle and I hope I will have some things ready to show you all soon. In the meantime, I just have to show off these:


They're going to play a starring role as props in my new shop's photos!

Thanks to all who've entered my blog giveaway so far - the spring cleaning tips are all very useful - and the Messy Person Syndrome sympathies are much appreciated too! I'm going to close the giveaway for entries tomorrow, Wednesday 10th March, at around 9pm UK time. If you'd like to be in with a chance of winning one of the two Apple Cameo brooches, click here to see the post and info on how to enter - one entry per person (with two chances to win per entry) and remember, this is open to entrants worldwide!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent to see your seedlings coming up so quickly, you obviously have the gift!

    ReplyDelete