Friday, 5 December 2008

Decembrrrrr!

Winter is well and truly here and I'm feeling the temptation to build myself a nest out of fabric and hibernate until the swallows come back. This isn't a good time to be sleeping though, and I'm full of plans and ideas so I get the feeling if I were to huddle down under the duvet for the next three months, at the very least I'd have to take my sketchbook with me, and a torch!

Alternatives to hibernation are:
Good food (gallons of spicy parsnip soup!) ... check
Hot water bottle ... check
Fluffy slipper socks ... check
Official designated 'making things' hat (see pic in previous post) ... check

There are many things I'd like to get completed and listed on Etsy before Wednesday's Christmas shipping for North America deadline. I'm back in work at my day job at the weekend, so realistically I don't think I'll get absolutely everything on my list done. I'm determined though to have at least one more cuff made and hopefully a brooch or two.

I've ordered some lovely eco-friendly boxes for my jewellery which will hopefully arrive early next week, as well as a new (to me) crafting product that I'm really excited about. Its silk habotai that you can put through an inkjet printer - like the cotton I use for my care labels. Since my lack of space at home means I can't try my hand at screenprinting yet, this is going to be a simple alternative. I'm going to design some abstract line-drawn patterns that will work cut up for my brooches, earrings etc.

Some of the patterns will be based around the sorts of shapes I already use in things like my 'shoal' designs. I'm also really inspired by Indian patterns, like those used in Mehndi designs painted onto hands. Check out these stunning ones:
http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2008/11/22/the-colorful-art-of-mehndi

1 comment:

  1. I had my hand patterned with mehndi once and loved it: )

    ReplyDelete