Monday, 10 November 2008

In the works and in the oven

A few days ago, I started gathering supplies for some new things for the shop. Hopefully coming in the next couple of days will be some lovely navy blue cotton jersey - thicker than the cotton lycra jersey I've been using for scarves and ideal for chillier weather and snow themed scarves. :) Its a new supplier for me so I've hedged my bets and only ordered enough for two scarves - which puts me in a quandry. If this fabric proves to be as ideal as I hope, at first I will only be able to make two of my three designs. Ohhhhhh which to make first?! The blizzard scarf is a definite, since my blizzard cuffs have proven to be popular. But peacock feathers or dusky petals? Hmmm.

In addition to the assorted scarves in the works, I'm developing another exciting new product for the shop that I think will make great gifts...

Pendant necklaces, made in a similar way to my fabric earrings. I'm just waiting on some sterling silver bails, which are the part that connects a pendant to a necklace, and then after I've made some scarves I'll start on the pendants.

I'm adapting my 'fish' design, originally for earrings, into a pendant design and a brooch design. The name has always niggled at me - the idea of adorning yourself with sealife is obviously not too appealing! For my necklace featuring lots of 'fish', I decided on the name Shoal - I like the sound of the word, and it's relevant without sounding too mundane. For the earrings I had felt that 'Shoal' sounded odd, since there weren't so many 'fish'. But I'm veering towards it as a name for all my fish inspired jewellery. If you have time to vote on my poll on the right, I'd love to know what you guys think of the new names I have in mind.

Feeling a little bit like hibernating today, I treated myself to one of my favourite cold weather dinners. Since people liked my apple toddy 'recipe', I thought I'd share the recipe for my Savoury Crumble here. I got the idea from a pub restaurant that I frequent with my parents when they're visiting, and I adapted it for my own storecupboard.

Ingredients to make two generous portions
Filling:
One large sweet potato
Two carrots
Half an onion
One garlic clove
1 pint of stock
A little olive oil or sunflower oil.

Topping:
100g flour
80g butter or margarine
A handful of porridge or rolled oats (optional)
A handful of sunflower seeds (optional)
Herbs (rosemary and coriander are both nice with this)
Ground black pepper

Method:
Set your oven to about 190 degrees celsius.
Chop garlic and onion.
Peel and chop the potato and carrots into cubes. Put them on to boil with the stock.
Put the flour and butter/margarine into a bowl and make into 'breadcrumbs'. You need to use the tips of your fingers to rub the butter into the flour so it forms little breadcrumb-like pieces. Next, add the oats, seeds and seasoning and mix together.
Fry the garlic and onion until soft.
By now, your vegetables should have boiled for about 15 minutes and be almost cooked.
Put the onion, garlic and vegetables into an ovenproof dish. You should have enough stock for the mixture to be quite moist, but not swimming in stock. Then, put your crumble topping onto the vegetables in a thick, even layer.
Bake in the oven for about half an hour to 40 minutes.
Serve as a side dish or as a filling vegetarian main course with broccoli or peas.

3 comments:

  1. loads of things going on at yours cat! please put me down for a hefty portion of that yummy food. dx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savoury crumble sounds yummy! 'Looking forward to seeing the new scarves : )
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a look at your etsy shop, you are making some really lovely things cat!
    The food looks delicious, making me feel hungry...
    P.x

    ReplyDelete